What to Do if You Feel Unwell This Christmas

By Rachel Lamb . 23/12/2016 · 3 Minute read

Share this story

As a healthcare recruitment agency, we care about the Doctors, Nurses and healthcare professionals we work with but as people, we also care a great deal about the patients our candidates look after and their well-being, especially during the festive season! With this in mind, we want to remind the general public to carefully consider their healthcare requirements should they feel unwell this Christmas.

With all the partying and merriment that takes place this time of year, our hospitals see an influx of people who are ill, injured or have simply overdone the boozing at their office Christmas do.

Please remember that A&E is only for major health emergencies and is often misused, which prevents those in desperate need of receiving immediate care.  To help you understand whether you should go to A&E or not, check out the guide below:

NHS 111

If you’re ever unsure about a health concern that is urgent but not life-threatening, call NHS 111. This is a free phone service that will advise you on whether you should go to A&E or an alternative care service. The line is open to call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Always call 999 immediately in the event of a life-threatening emergency.

Who to call if you're ill UK - what is NHS 111 - emergency phone numbers


If you’re feeling a little under the weather with a cough or cold (or massive hangover...), you should aim to treat yourself at home. This is the best option for any minor illnesses or injuries and includes the use of paracetamol/aspirin, thermometers, antihistamines, anti-diarrhoea medicine and plasters etc.

What to buy if you're unwell - over the counter medication - pills - medicines


For any minor illnesses or conditions that are not urgent but require advice, your pharmacist is a fantastic (and often underused) resource. Some pharmacies can also be used for free emergency contraception.

Find your nearest pharmacy at www.nhs.uk

Minor illness treatment from your pharmacist


GP Surgeries

If you have had any ongoing illnesses or injuries, your GP can help but you will need an appointment to see them. They can provide you with prescriptions or refer you to more specialist services if necessary. Your GP is an ideal option for ongoing problems as they have records of your medical history.

Should your surgery be closed during your time of need, call NHS 111. 

GP for minor illness


Urgent Care Centres

For illness or conditions that are urgent but not life-threatening, you can visit an urgent care centre. These are open 24/7 and do not require an appointment. Urgent care centres are managed by doctors and nurses and are best for patients with minor illnesses or minor injuries, including burns, cuts, sprains and possible breaks.

Urgent Care Centre



If you’re experiencing a life-threatening situation, call 999 or get to your nearest A&E Department immediately. Life-threatening situations include:

  • Blacking out
  • Unstoppable bleeding
  • Severe chest pain
  • Choking
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Stroke

A&E will always prioritise patients according to the severity of their urgent care condition, which means you may be waiting a long time before being seen should your requirements be less critical.

Accident and Emergency | A&E


Your World Healthcare wishes everyone a happy and safe festive season!  

Related Stories

News related to this story

Slide for more
newspaper sub

Sign up to our Newsletter

Keep up to date with Your World

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy